If you have worked for a long time in the IT industry, there is a possibility that you might have managed or been a part of an environment where you or members of the IT/ Development Group have implemented a “jump box” to access protected information.
A “jump box” is a system that works as a bridge between two networks. It gives a method of controlled access from one network to another that contains protected information. Generally, “jump boxes” are very controlled and monitored by a SOC and demands an approval to access. All the traffic from the “jump box” is logged and recorded to make sure it follows your regulations.
Without Appgate SDP (Software Defined Peremiter):
- Inflexible: Waiting for approvals and authorizations has always been difficult.
- Lateral movement: When the jump box is open the users basically have free access to everything on the protected network.
- Manuel process: Several times the jump box has to be open manually by one person, often a NOC or a SOC member.
There is a better solution! By using a SDP solution such as Cyxteras Appgate SDP you solve these problems easily.
With Appgate SDP you gain:
- All users a driver/agent of Appgate SDP on their device (Windows, Mac, Linux, iPhone IOS, Android) that connects you to a protected Appgate SDP controller. The Protected Appgate SDP controller, in turn, provides rights to the user for specifically authorized resources.
- With Appgate SDP, your users only have access to the information that they are authorized to. Unlike many VPN or jump box solutions, Appgate SDP checks the specific resources a user can access on the protected network. This eliminates lateral movements (The user goes from resource to resource without any additional privileges).
- Appgate SDP can also be configured to automate the authentication process, which eliminates the need for a person to do it. Appgate has a ticketing system to access the resources that are defined in the ticket.
The Jump Box has played a major role in corporate networks. But advances in technology have made it difficult and outdated. Updating to a software defined peremiter solution will solve any problems you encounter with the jump box as well as meet all your security requirements.
If you want to know more regarding Cyxtera and Infozone, please contact Benny Silfvergren at Infozone.